Wednesday 21 May 2014

Gotta Love Spring....

Whooops!! I had a bit of an unplanned blogging break there!! I do apologise!! I now have a backlog of things to write about and so my blog may do the "buses" thing!!

Late spring is one of my favourite times of year. The bleak midwinter is over and everything springs forth with life and promise - the weather is warm but not too hot (I don't "do" being hot) and we can get out into the garden and get things done that have been waiting.

When we lost two of our horses last summer we had them cremated and my Stepdad made these lovely wooden planters. Now the weather has improved we finally got around to planting them up.

We added some rocks for drainage, a little soil and then carefully unwrapped each heavy parcel that contained my equine friends - the chalky white ashes were gently tipped in and more soil was added. Then we planted them with roses and bedding plants before adding handpainted signs.


I must confess it was rather emotional and I shed a little tear. I like to think that by giving the roses nutrients their energy will live on.

While we were buying plants we came across a chap in a local village square selling flowering wisteria plants for £15 so we couldn't resist snapping one up.

We have a wisteria growing up the front of the house but unfortunately it didn't flower this year. I think we slipped up by being afraid to cut it back last year and so will have to do that this autumn.

We got some bedding plants, strawberries and a beautiful blue hydrangea to go in our mismatched (I love mismatched!!) pots for the decking as well.

The aquilegia has sprung up all over as it is does:

Even Jasper, one of our two, Tonkinese cats took a moment to enjoy the spring sunshine.

We got a lovely table and chairs for the decking - in candy stripes and so very me!!:

The directors style chairs are very comfy and I've already spent several afternoons out on the decking crocheting and watching Netflix.

Let's hope we are granted a half decent summer!!

Hugs,

S x

 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are back. I have missed your posts and seeing what you will do next with your lovely home.
    I love the planters. I think that is a wonderful way to remember your special friends. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look gorgeous. It will be a lovely tribute to your horses when your roses flower every year. I used to dry flowers using silica gel, might be something you could do so you can enjoy them indoors all year round. Hope there is a bit of sun for you to enjoy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Every comment you leave makes my day, so do take a moment to say hello....

S x