Thursday 26 May 2011

Asparagus and Ham Bake....


We were a bit naughty today and had this for lunch - believe me it tastes nicer than it looks!! 

It was my Dad's recipe and I had forgotten about it until my Sis reminded me. Dad was a fantastic cook and would often experiment, the trouble being he would often forget what he did so couldn't recreate any successes!! This one was remembered though.

Ingredients:

1.5 bunches asparagus
2tbsp flour
1.5tbsp butter
300ml milk
100g cheddar, grated
6 small slices real ham
nutmeg & salt and pepper to taste

Method:


Preheat the grill

Remove the woody ends from the asparagus by snapping and drop into some boiling water for 5-6mins.

Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a small pan, once melted add the flour and combine with a whisk. 

Remove from the heat (this bit is vital or you will get lumps) and gradually add the milk. Once all the milk is combined return to the heat and season with salt pepper and nutmeg. Watch carefully and stir every so often.

When the edges begin to bubble add 3/4 of the cheese, whisk until melted. Remove from heat.

When your asparagus is cooked, drain and arrange in a baking dish (please excuse my elderly, stained Le Creuset!!)

Pour over half the cheese sauce and then lay your ham slices on top. Cover with the remaining sauce and the rest of the cheese.

Place under a hot grill for 10mins or until brown and bubbling (mine could have done with longer but we couldn't wait!!)

Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.

Enjoy!!

S x

PS Do you like my new banner?

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, yummy!! I'll have to try it with quorn chunks :) Also, I love your new banner! :) I've been meaning to make a banner for my blog for ages, but haven't gotten around to finding out how.
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 ypur new banner! it's the 1st thing i noticed. i was gonna say something, even before i read your question. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just a quickie to say thanks so much for all the crochet help you posted on my blog. I'll check out those books. I'll shortly be stitching together my first ever blanket so you may regret offering advice!!! ;-)

    This looks delicious... Yu-um!

    Nicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your banner is FAB! :)

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks and sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I could eat that right now!
    It looks so inviting!

    Love your new banner, it's really pretty.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Every comment you leave makes my day, so do take a moment to say hello....

S x