Thursday 7 July 2011

Vintage Gorgeousness!!

A few weeks ago I was perusing HenHouse, one of my favourite blogs when I saw a picture of the most gorgeous kidney shaped dressing table (here, fifth photo down).


Well, the lust began and so I scoured eBay for something similar and yesterday took delivery of this little baby (pics from the eBay listing as camera flat yet again!!):



Isn't it just gorgeous? Apparently it was purchased in Harrods in the late '50's/early '60's so is probably the poshest item of furniture in the whole house even though it cost me just £61.

And look at all this storage:
 

It's now in pride of place in our bedroom. I do intend to recover it, Cath fabric would be lovely but not at £18 per metre (I'll need 8m!!) so I have found this alternative at Fabricland:


At £3.29 per metre it's a bit more reasonable!!

I hope to remove the braid and reupholster the top and drawer fronts (which on inspection look as they have already been redone at some point) and then use the existing skirts as lining for the cotton above (to give them enough poufiness!!)

May I just say before I go, thank you so much for all your kind and supportive words regarding the post about my dream - you ladies really are fabulous and mean a whole lot to me!!

hugs,

S x






13 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it when you've recovered it and whatnot. I think the fabric you've found is perfect and will be very cute :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sarah that is gorgeous and will look fab with the new fabric.
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks amazing. I want one now! Any tips for sourcing one on Ebay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that brings back such memories of my childhood bedroom and my stupidity in thinking things like that were rubbish when I got my first house. Words like vintage and shabby chic just meant junk to me at the time. We even took a sledgehammer to the original cast iron bath and put a pink corner one in it's place...oh the shame!!! What I wouldn't give to have my old kidney dresser back now. (I do have a cast iron bath once more thankfully)! The fabric looks lovely and I can't wait to see the transformation. Dev aka fairyglade

    ReplyDelete
  5. dressing table looks lovely and cant wait to see you transform it ,thankyou for the advice on painting of furniture going to follow what you have said and give it a go thanks sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow what a lovely dressing table, I'm sure it will look just divine in your bedroom! Do you have an Ikea near to you? If so they have some lovely Rosali material for only £4.99 a metre and it's very Cath K style, it comes with both a white background and duck egg bluish background too. I got some the other day as it was too good to pass by!
    Looking forward to the final reveal :)
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's fantastic Sarah! I love it!!
    I can't wait to see how it looks all recovered, but I think it's pretty fab even now.

    What a great buy!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey what a bargain! That is totally gorgeous love. Can't wait to see you give it a makeover. Very lovely.
    Have a brill weekend and good luck with the revamping. Envious, I never have time or the skill!!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am GREEN!!! My husband would not allow such gorgeous girliness in our bedroom. Sometimes I wish he'd bugger off!!! Just kidding, wish he had no interiors opinions though.

    Can't wait to see it made over.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is lush!
    Why is it I can never find anything decent on ebay?
    Well done, hon.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a find!! Good old Fabricland - I love that shop :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes!
    Am back up to date and have found my last comment!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Every comment you leave makes my day, so do take a moment to say hello....

S x