It's just the sort of little chair I was after, a low chair similar in style to a Victorian nursing chair - but as you can it was seriously in need of recovering:
I spent all day yesterday giving it a makeover:
I am very pleased with it as it is my very first attempt at sewing a cover like this!!
I couldn't find a tutorial so I had to work it out for myself. I was going to remove the original cover, dismantle it and use it as a pattern but as I prised the staples off the underside it became apparent that that wasn't going to work as the fabric was fragile and the inside of the chair was full of loose bits of stuffing.
Plan B was to pin greaseproof paper to the chair and then draw around it to make a pattern. I cut these out and then retired to my sewing room where I made patchwork fabric big enough for each pattern piece.
I cut these out and stitched them together using a 1cm seam allowance. When I had the back piece and the seat piece finished (but not stitched together) I put them on the chair for a fitting and then sewed them together too.
I have stapled the bottom of the cover to the underside of the chair as I wanted a tight fit but I could have hemmed the bottom and left it completely loose.
Whilst I was working away I had Desperate Housewives playing on my laptop and managed to watch 8 episodes!!
Today, my Sis and her kids are coming over so chaos will reign!!